Oberstdorf and the Allgäu region: Germany's sunny veranda!
To be more specifi: Oberstdorf is nestled in the high Allgäu Alps, 7 valleys run togehter into the Illertal here. Covering about 220 square kilometres, Oberstdorf is Bavaria's second-largest community in terms of space. 75% of this surface is located in a protected landscape and wildlife and nature reserve, cars are banned from an area of about 227,500 sqm in the city centre. The region is one of the sunniest in Bavaria, and you can enjoy the sunshine relaxing on one of the 600 park benches. Or enjoy the panorama with a "view of 400 summits" from Nebelhorn mountain (2,200 m). Oberstdorf is regarded as one of the biggest mountain and ski resorts in the northern Alps.
Leisure activities at the Youth Hostel
- Big sports and leisure room with two ping-pong tables, table football, 2 billiard tables and the Hostel disco.
- Sunny veranda for relaxing
- "Children's paradise" for our small guests, with toys, a slide and nappy changing table. We also have a playground for children and toys for playing in the sand.
- Large selection of board games available.
- Football pitch, ping-pong table, volleyball field, badminton court, indiaca beach field, outdoor climbing wall with four rotes, boules and outdoor bowling alley. Fitness course nearby.
- Educational programme modules with adventure course on the premises.
- Flying Fox (120-metre zip line).
Leisure activities in the area
- Vitaltherme (swimming pool with artifical waves), ice rink, show cheese dairy, district museum, metereological station, 2 cinemas, pubs, discos.
- Freibergsee lake with public beach and boat rental, Heini Klopfer ski jump, Schattenberg ski jumps.
- Breitachklamm gorge, Sturmannshöhle cave, countless hiking trails in the Allgäu mountains and valleys, cable cars on Söllereck, Nebelhorn, Fellhorn, Kanzelwand, Walmendingerhorn and Ifen mountains.
- Summer music festival with concerts in July/August, winter festival every other weekend in winter, regular venue for international sports events, e.g. Four Hills Tournament, ski flying, Viehscheid eventoutings to royal castles or to Lake Constance.
- Varied sports programme, including swimming, mini golf, bowling, climbing, mountain biking, paragliding, canyoning, kayaking, rafting, horse riding, tennis, inline skating, trekking, skiing, cross-country skiing, snowboarding, sledding, toboggan run, ski tours, snow shoe hikes.
- Outdoor programme: in cooperation with our partner mountain schools and outdoor event organisers, our Hostel offers the full range of mountain and winter sports. Climbing, rafting, canyoning, canoe/Canadian canoe, snow shoe and freeride courses, including avalanche briefing Experience programmes for groups, with adventure trail on the Hostel grounds.
Outings and excursions
Hiking without limits
Can you feel your walking stick itching to go? Then let your feet run free! Certified mountain guides will take you safely to the famous lookouts and along hidden paths. Or would you prefer something more easygoing? Hikes on level ground can also be very uplifting. In Oberstdorf, you can have both.
Oberstdorf is a true El Dorado for cycling fans and bike freaks. Whether you are a novice or well-trained biker, there is something for everybody. There is certain to be a tour to suit every taste in a scenic mountain setting.